Have you ever wondered why sleep is considered so much important for our physical health? Your mind and body get refreshed after getting a good sleep, but most importantly, sleep plays a pivotal role in repairing and healing of your heart and blood vessels. In a nutshell, sleep is as important as oxygen is to our survival.
It is important to comprehend that sleep deficiency can cause various health problems such as increased risk of kidney problems, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, etc.
According to World Health Organization (WHO) study, a bad night sleep isn’t just going to make you feel tired all day, it can have adverse effects on your heart as well .
In a WHO technical meeting on sleep and health, 21 world experts on sleep medicine and epidemiologists reviewed the importance of a good sleep. According to the experts, there are various factors (stressors) that play a role in sleep/clinical disorders (Chronic insomnia and sleep apnea) such as environmental, psychological, and lifestyle . It is worth mentioning here that your lifestyle is one of the most important factors that are responsible for various sleep deficiency problems.
But why sleep is so important? Here are some Health Benefits of a good night’s sleep that you need to know:
Health Benefits of Sleep
- It enhances your memory
- It curbs inflammation
- It revitalizes your internal organs
- It helps in strengthening your immune system and enhancing your immune function
- It lowers the stress levels and helps in countering depression
- It improves your mood and makes you feel more lively
- It plays a role of a natural painkiller
- It helps in losing weight
- It keeps you mentally alert and helps in avoiding any accident from happening
Two Important Tips on How to get a Good Night’s Sleep
It can be really frustrating to not get a good night’s sleep. Sometimes, we are feeling sleepy and all tired, but we are unable to sleep due to various factors that can be environmental or psychological.
For some people, activating sleep mode on is like a walk in the park – they are asleep within a few minutes after closing their eyes. If you wish that you could go to sleep just like those people, here are the two most effective and applicable tips for you:
Tip 1: Go for Quality and Comfort
This is probably one of the main reasons why you are not getting a good night’s sleep. Believe it or not, you need to make your bed yourself every night before going to sleep. Various researches and studies have found that people sleep much better when their bedrooms are clean and comfortable .
Tip 2: Give Importance to Your Pillow
Yes, you’ve read it right. Pillows are highly underrated and they deserve as much recognition as bed sheets and mattresses. Not only they provide comfort and quality sleep at night, they also keep your whole body in alignment. According to Martin Simon from Pillow Sciences, it is imperative to have a good pillow because your whole body is out of alignment if you are using a wrong pillow.
Other Useful Tips on How to Sleep Better
- Increase bright light (sunlight) exposure
- Decrease blue light (electronic devices)during the night
- Don’t drink coffee or tea before going to sleep
- Avoid irregular daytime naps
- Control the drinking of alcohol
- Get a comfortable memory foam mattress, bed, and pillow
- Change bed sheets on the frequent basis
- Wash bed sheets and pillowcases with scented detergents (it can be really helpful in enhancing the quality of sleep)
- Take a shower before going to sleep
- Do not exercise before going to bed
- Do not drink liquids before going to bed (you need to limit your visits to the washroom at nighttime)
The Bottom Line for You
You need to rule out any thoughts of having a sleeping disorder. Create a relaxed environment in your bedroom and ensure that you are sleeping on a bed that is comfortable. Make a habit of following the tips mentioned-above and soon you’ll experience a positive change.
Image Credit: Pixabay.com.